Der Indianerstamm der Cowlitz

Der Indianerstamm der Cowlitz


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Der Name Cowlitz Tribe bezieht sich auf zwei nordwestliche Indianergruppen, die Lower und Upper Cowlitz, und die Flussentwässerung, die ihre Heimat der Ureinwohner war. Im Landesinneren südwestlich des heutigen Washington State gelegen, umfasste das ursprüngliche Territorium der Stämme etwa 3.750 Quadratmeilen. Nach einigen Berichten bedeutet der Name Cowlitz „spiritueller Sucher“. Die Upper Cowlitz lebten in Dörfern östlich von Mossyrock, lagerten dann bei warmem Wetter in höheren Lagen des Cascade Crest, dann entlang des Tieton River mehrere Meilen östlich des Crests . Die Aufführung von Tanz und Gesang sollte die Verfügbarkeit von Nahrung sicherstellen und das Böse vermeiden. Im Frühjahr zogen die Familien in die Prärien, um Wapato (indische Kartoffeln) und Camas-Zwiebeln auszugraben, die Stärke für ihre Ernährung lieferten. Zusätzlich zu seiner Funktion zum Sammeln von Nahrung bot das Campen einen Rahmen für soziale Interaktion. Nach Erreichen der Pubertät machten sich die Cowlitz-Jugendlichen auf Fasten-Quests, um Visionen von einem Geistführer zu suchen, der ihnen helfen sollte, produktive Mitglieder des Stammes zu werden. Aufgrund ihrer insularen Lage, die Cowlitz waren enger verbunden als andere Salish-sprechende Bands am Columbia River und an der Küste. Sie tauschten auch Gegenstände durch Spiele, Pferderennen und Powwows aus. Die frühesten historischen Berichte über die Cowlitz begannen 1811 mit der Ankunft von Agenten der Pacific Fur Company aus Astoria. Diese Öffnung in das Land von Cowlitz bot der Hudson Bay Company, die mit der North West Company fusionierte, eine Chance, mit den Eingeborenen zu handeln. Eine Epidemie in den Jahren 1829 und 1830, von der angenommen wird, dass es sich um eine virulente asiatische Influenza handelt, wurde von Kapitän John Domines Amerikanisches Schiff Owyhee. Betroffene Dörfer wurden zu höllischen Schauplätzen von Krankheit und Tod, und die Bevölkerung ging steil zurück. In der Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts wurden die Beziehungen zwischen Einheimischen und Nicht-Eingeborenen als Pioniere mit Unterstützung der USA episodisch hässlich und Ressourcen ohne die Zustimmung der Cowlitz. Als im selben Jahr der Krieg zwischen den Indianern und Weißen ausbrach, wurde dem Cowlitz-Stamm versichert, dass sie mit einem Reservat versorgt würden, wenn ihre aufgeregten jungen Tapferen sich nicht an den Kämpfen beteiligten. Die Zusicherung eines Cowlitz-Reservats als Gegenleistung für die Kooperation wurde jedoch offenbar ignoriert.

Im Jahr 1906 verklagte ein Cowlitzer Häuptling namens Atwin Stockum die Bundesregierung, mehrere Landstücke für seinen Stamm zurückzuerlangen, was über Jahrzehnte zu einer Reihe von Streitigkeiten mit der Regierung führte. Während des gesamten 20. Jahrhunderts verteidigte der Cowlitz-Stamm einsam seine Interessen. Auch zu Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts entwickelte sich das System der Häuptlinge zu einem System gewählter Präsidenten. Darüber hinaus entstand 1950 eine verfassungsmäßige, gewählte Stammesratsstruktur. Der Staat Washington begann 1920, seine Fisch- und Wildtiervorschriften gegen Indianer durchzusetzen, was zu Konfrontationen zwischen den Vollstreckern und den Cowlitz führte. Der langjährige Kampf wurde schließlich mit der Ausstellung von Ausweisen an die Cowlitz beigelegt, die den Inhabern zum Fischen und zur Jagd zum Lebensunterhalt berechtigten.

In den 1950er Jahren versuchten die Cowlitz, die Stadt Tacoma vom Bau eines Wasserkraftwerks am Cowlitz-Fluss in der Nähe von Taoup, einem alten Cowlitzer Dorf, abzubringen. Die Stadt setzte sich durch und Stauwasser überschwemmten einzelne Besitzungen und Stammesgräberfelder. 1946 verlagerten sich die Bemühungen um Landansprüche in Cowlitz vom Kongress zur neuen Indian Claims Commission, die von den Vereinigten Staaten eingerichtet wurde. 1951 reichten die Führer von Cowlitz eine Petition für Landansprüche gegen die Bundesregierung ein. 22 Jahre später fand die Kommission zugunsten des Cowlitz-Indianerstamms, indem er behauptete, die Regierung habe dem Stamm "... seines Ureinwohner-Indianertitels am 20. März 1863 ohne Zahlung einer Entschädigung dafür entzogen." Die Kommission bestätigte außerdem eine Gesamtfläche von 1,66 Millionen Acres, etwa zwei Drittel der Landfläche der Ureinwohner. Die von den Vereinigten Staaten vorgelegte Einigung belief sich auf etwa einen halben Dollar pro Acre. Während der letzten zwei Jahrzehnte des Jahrhunderts drängten die Cowlitz auf ihre Bemühungen, die formelle Anerkennung der Bundesregierung zu erlangen.


Siehe Indian Wars-Zeitplan.
Karte der Kulturregionen der amerikanischen Ureinwohner.


Der Cowlitz Indian Tribe ist ein staatlich anerkannter Stamm der Cowlitzer. Sie sind ein Stamm von indigenen Völkern der Southwestern Coast Salish und Sahaptan im pazifischen Nordwesten in Washington.

Lachs war das Hauptnahrungsmittel des Stammes, während Wildbret das Hauptfleischnahrungsmittel war. Elche wurden in der Saison, wenn sie in Herden lebten, leicht getrieben, und ein einzelner Jäger verfolgte den Elch mit Hilfe von zwei oder drei Hunden. Neben Hirschen und Elchen jagten sie Bären, die Dickhorn-Bergziege, Biber, Bergbiber und Waschbären.


The Long View: Geschichte des Indianerstamms der Cowlitz

Das Konzept, scharfe Grenzen zu definieren, um das Territorium einer Gruppe von dem einer anderen abzugrenzen, ist typisch für Angloamerikaner, aber für die amerikanischen Ureinwohner ein Fremdwort.

Sie hatten lose definierte Nutzungsgebiete, und das Territorium einer Gruppe überschnitt sich oft stark mit dem anderer.

Der weiße Mann braucht Grenzen, um seine Karten zu zeichnen, aber die Ureinwohner Amerikas hielten nie das Konzept, sagen zu können, dass jemand einen Teil der Erdmutter besitzt. Sie besitzt uns. Zahlreiche verschiedene Gruppen können in einem Heidelbeerbeet zusammen sein.

Die folgenden Grenzen sind allgemein als die grundlegenden Nutzungsbereiche der vier Cowlitz Tribal Bands zu verstehen.

Die Cowlitz hatten ursprünglich die größte Landbasis aller westlichen Washingtoner Stämme.

Beginnen wir an einem Punkt in der Nähe von Yard Birds im heutigen Chehalis-Centralia-Gebiet und reisen wir nach Osten, vorbei an der Südwand des Mount Rainier, bis zur Kaskadenscheide.

Biegen Sie dann nach Süden zum Battleground (in der Nähe von Vancouver) ab und fahren Sie auf dem Columbia River flussabwärts.

Die Dörfer entlang der Gabelungen des Lewis River waren als Lewis River Cowlitz Band bekannt.

Die 29 Dörfer entlang des Cowlitz River vom Coweeman River bis kurz oberhalb des Barrier Dam wurden als Lower Cowlitz Band bezeichnet.

Vierzehn Dörfer stromaufwärts an der Cowlitz waren die des Oberen Cowlitzer Bandes.

Fahren Sie von der Mündung des Cowlitz River für weitere 25 bis 20 Meilen den Columbia River hinunter und biegen Sie rechts in die Willapa Hills und das Gebiet der Kwalhiokwa Cowlitz Band ab.

Wir biegen nun nach rechts ab, bevor wir Willapa Bay erreichen und nehmen eine Linie, die uns zurück zu unserem Ausgangspunkt bei Yard Birds in Chehalis bringt.

Der Cowlitz-Stamm besetzte das gesamte Gebiet, das heute die Grafschaften Cowlitz und Clark ist, sowie Teile der Grafschaften Lewis, Pierce, Skamania und Wahkiakum.

Sie können sehen, dass der Cowlitz-Stamm den größten Teil des heutigen südwestlichen Teils des Staates Washington besetzte.

Um 1840 überquerten die Cowlitz den Columbia River und gründeten ein Dorf in der Nähe des heutigen Rainier, Ore. Ansonsten war der Columbia River die südliche Grenze ihrer Existenz.

Sie hatten eine gemeinsame Grenze mit dem Chinook auf der stromabwärtigen Seite des Columbia River. Im Norden grenzte die Untere Cowlitz an den Stamm der Chehalis, während die Obere Cowlitz an den Stamm der Oberen Nisqually grenzte.

Im Osten grenzten sie an den Yakama-Stamm.

Nächste Woche: Die Sprachen des Cowlitz-Stammes.

Roy I. Rochon Wilson war drei Jahrzehnte lang ein gewählter Anführer des Cowlitz-Stammes und ist Autor von mehr als 30 Büchern, darunter mehrere Geschichten des Cowlitz-Stammes. Er ist ein pensionierter ordinierter methodistischer Pfarrer und gegenwärtiger geistlicher Führer des Stammes. Wilson lebt in der Nähe von Winlock.


Roy I. Rochon Wilson: Geschichte des Indianerstamms der Cowlitz

Die vier Divisionen oder Bands des Cowlitz-Stammes waren das Ergebnis geographischer, historischer und sprachlicher Faktoren.

Das Studium der linguistischen Faktoren ist sehr interessant, da der Cowlitz-Stamm ungewöhnlich, wenn auch nicht einzigartig war, da er sprachlich unterschiedliche Abteilungen aufwies: Salishan und Sahaptin. Die Cowlitz waren der südlichste der Salish sprechenden Stämme, die in West-Washington und British Columbia lebten.

Laut Horatio Hale unterschieden sich die Nisqually, Chehalis, Cowlitz und Tillamook „erheblich im Dialekt“. Paul Kane sagte, dass „die Cowlitz auch ihre eigene Rede haben“. George Simpson sagte: „Jeder Fluss entlang der Küste wird von einem anderen Stamm bewohnt, der eine andere Sprache oder einen anderen Dialekt spricht.“

Jeder Stamm sprach seinen eigenen Dialekt, und die Linguisten sagen, dass diese Dialekte in zwei Reihen unterteilt wurden: die „K“-Dialekt-Reihe und die „C“-Reihe. Die nördlichen und südlichen Salish sprechenden Stämme sprachen Dialekte der „C“-Reihe, während die zentralen Stämme Dialekte der „K“-Reihe sprachen.

Die Cowlitz waren der einzige Stamm, der Dialekte beider Reihen sprach.

Die Upper Cowlitz und die Lewis River Cowlitz sprachen einen Dialekt der „K“-Reihe, während die Lower Cowlitz und die Kwalhiokwa Cowlitz einen Dialekt der „C“-Reihe sprachen.

Da jeder der Stämme den Dialekt seines Nachbarstamms nicht verstand, kommunizierten sie miteinander in der gemeinsamen Handelssprache zwischen den Stämmen – dem Chinook-Jargon.

Die Obere Cowlitz hatte eine gemeinsame Grenze mit den Yakama und den Sahaptin sprechenden Banden der Yakama und der Klickitat. Der Cowlitz-Yakama-Pfad ermöglichte es vielen Ober-Cowlitz, sich über die Kaskade in das Sahaptin-sprechende Land zu wagen, und im Laufe der Jahrhunderte brachten viele dieser Oberen Cowlitz-Männer Sahaptin-sprechende Frauen zurück der Oberen Cowlitz.

Die Klickitats waren die reisenden Handelsvertreter, die nicht nur weit nach Osten reisten, sondern auch durch das Land des Lewis River nach Westen reisten.

Im Laufe der Zeit blieben viele von ihnen im Cowlitz-Land und heirateten mit dem Lewis River Cowlitz. Die Upper Cowlitz und die Lewis River Cowlitz wurden oft mit ihrem Taidnapam-Dialektnamen identifiziert.

Als die Weißen die Szene betraten, waren die Cowlitz mehrsprachig und sprachen zwei verschiedene Dialekte des Salish, den Taidnapam-Dialekt des Sahaptin und die Handelssprache zwischen den Stämmen – den Chinook-Jargon. Mit der Ankunft des Weißen fanden sie es notwendig, auch Englisch und Französisch zu lernen. Warum wurden sie von vielen für dumme, unwissende Wilde gehalten?

Noch 1950 trafen Anthropologen auf Enklaven von Cowlitz, bei denen Dolmetscher benötigt wurden, weil sie die englische Sprache kaum oder gar nicht beherrschten.

Wir haben 26 Buchstaben in unserem englischen Alphabet, aber es gibt 46 Buchstaben im Lower Cowlitz Alphabet. Die Salish-Sprache hat viele tiefe gutturale Laute, die für den weißen Mann fast unmöglich waren.

Einige der Ortsnamen von Upper Cowlitz sind noch heute bei uns, wie zum Beispiel „Cispus“, der Name eines mythologischen Kriegers.

Skyo Mountain, in der Nähe von Packwood, war für die Upper Cowlitz "tiska'ya", was "Stinktier" bedeutet.

Skookumchuck kommt aus einer Kombination von zwei Wörtern in der intertribalen Handelssprache: „skookum“ bedeutet „mächtig“ und „chuck“ bedeutet Wasser.

Nächste Woche: Die Werkzeuge des Indianerstamms der Cowlitz.

Roy I. Rochon Wilson war drei Jahrzehnte lang ein gewählter Anführer des Cowlitz-Stammes und ist Autor von mehr als 30 Büchern, darunter mehrere Geschichten des Cowlitz-Stammes. Er ist ein pensionierter ordinierter methodistischer Pfarrer und gegenwärtiger geistlicher Führer des Stammes. Wilson lebt in der Nähe von Winlock.


Eine Geschichte des Respekts, die in Pendletons Partnerschaft mit dem Cowlitz Tribe verwoben ist

Nadia Niaitin prüft die Qualität einer Rolle gewebter Wolle in Pendletons Washougal-Mühle. Fotos von Nathan Howard/The Columbian Photo Gallery

COWLITZ INDIAN RESERVATION — Am Ende seiner Show legte Nick Offerman seine Gitarre neben seiner selbstgemachten Ukulele ab, verbeugte sich und verließ die Bühne des Cowlitz Ballrooms.

Aber der Sänger, Schauspieler und Komiker, der vor allem für seine Rolle in NBCs „Parks and Recreation“ bekannt ist, hat es nicht auf die Treppe geschafft.

Zwei Mitglieder des Cowlitz Indian Tribe, die im Stil ihrer Vorfahren gekleidet waren, führten Offerman zurück auf die Bühne. Sie entfalteten eine bunte Decke und wickelten sie um die Schultern des Entertainers, als ein anderes Stammesmitglied dem Publikum sagte, dass die Decke als Geschenk überreicht wurde.

Offerman nutzte den Moment und umklammerte die Decke. Dann spähte er auf eine der Deckenecken hinab und entdeckte ein Etikett.

“Das ist ein Pendleton!” rief er aus.

Offerman war nur der neueste Entertainer im Cowlitz Ballroom, der in die Stammesdecke gehüllt wurde. Andere sind die Sängerin LeAnn Rimes, die Komiker Amy Schumer und Jay Leno sowie die Rockband REO Speedwagon aus den 1970er Jahren.

Das Verschenken einer in Pendleton Woollen Mills gewebten Stammesdecke kann noch nicht als Tradition bezeichnet werden, da das Casino zwischen Ridgefield und La Center kaum zwei Jahre alt ist und der Ballsaal letztes Jahr eröffnet wurde. An dieser Stelle ist es eher eine Übung. Es wurde von Stammesmitglied David Barnett ins Leben gerufen, der maßgeblich an den Ursprüngen des Casinos beteiligt war und die notwendigen Schritte unternahm, um die Decke zu erstellen, die hauptsächlich den 4.200 Mitgliedern des Stammes übergeben werden sollte.

Barnett sagt, er habe die Geschichte der Beziehungen von Pendleton zu Stämmen und die Fähigkeiten des Unternehmens bei Stammesdecken erkannt, als er letztes Jahr seine Hilfe beim Weben einer Cowlitz-Decke suchte. Auf diese Weise schlossen sich die Cowlitz anderen Indianerstämmen an, die Decken von der in Privatbesitz befindlichen, ehrwürdigen Marke Portland herstellen ließen.

Lange Geschichte

Pendleton Woollen Mill wurde am 16. Februar 1909 in Pendleton, Oregon, gegründet. Maschinen wurden durch eine Anleihe in Pendleton zusammen mit dem Geld einer Familie gekauft, die eng mit der Wollindustrie verbunden war. C. P. Bischof, Familienpatriarch, war der erste Präsident von Pendleton Woolen Mill.

Bishop war zuvor Kaufmann in Salem, Oregon, und hatte Martha Ann “Fannie” Kay geheiratet, die ihrem Vater eine wichtige Beraterin beim Betrieb seiner Thomas Kay Mill in Salem, Oregon, war. Fannie schwor, eine eigene Mühle zu haben, als ihr ältester Bruder die Thomas Kay Mühle erbte. Durch ihre und andere Bemühungen kehrte die Wollherstellung in Form der Pendleton Woolen Mill nach Ost-Oregon zurück.

Das Unternehmen schreibt Fannie Kay Bishop zu, dass sie die prägende Entwicklung der Mühle geleitet hat, zum großen Teil durch die Erziehung von drei Söhnen, die eines Tages die Eigentümer von Pendleton werden sollten.

Einer ihrer drei Söhne, C.M. “Clarence” Bishop, kaufte 1912 die Wollspinnerei Washougal.

Pendleton befindet sich heute in sechster Generation in Familienbesitz.

Um die Jahrhundertwende gab es in Amerika mehr als tausend Wolltextilfabriken. Heute sind es drei und Pendleton besitzt zwei davon — in Pendleton und Washougal.

Stammesbeziehungen

Pendletons Beziehungen zu Indianerstämmen sind fast so lang wie die Geschichte des Unternehmens. Einheimische Stämme waren die ersten Kunden des Unternehmens, beginnend mit den ersten Decken, die im September 1909 produziert wurden.

“Pendleton und die Tribes respektieren sich gegenseitig,” das Unternehmen in einer Erklärung, die eine Erzählung seiner Geschichte begleitet, “verbunden durch ein Erbe von 110 Jahren.”

Die Beziehung festigte sich 1910 mit dem ersten Pendleton Round-Up Rodeo. Die Organisatoren der ersten Veranstaltung wollten, dass Stämme teilnahmen, waren sich jedoch nicht sicher, ob dies passieren würde. Sie suchten die Hilfe von Roy Bishop. Bishop, einer von Fannie Kay Bishops drei Söhnen, überredete die Stämme der Gegend, an der Pendleton Round-Up 1910 teilzunehmen. Seitdem haben Stämme teilgenommen.

Pendletons erster Deckendesigner Joe Rawnsley verbrachte oft Monate mit lokalen Stämmen und lernte ihre Vorlieben für Elemente in ihren Decken kennen. Die Stammesdecken wurden damals wie heute im Jacquard-Verfahren hergestellt, wobei in einem strukturierten Wollstoff gewebte Muster entstehen.

Heute produziert das Unternehmen Decken für Stämme nicht nur im pazifischen Nordwesten, sondern in den ganzen USA, sagte Sprecherin Linda Parker, die sich weigerte, die Zahl der Stammeskunden zu nennen.

“Normalerweise sind benutzerdefinierte Decken nicht für kommerzielle Zwecke bestimmt,” das Unternehmen in einer Erklärung. “Sie werden zu Ehren von Ereignissen auf der Reise des Lebens vergeben: Geburt, Heirat, Volljährigkeit, Abschluss und sogar Tod sowie besondere Feierlichkeiten und Geschenke.”

Diese speziellen Stammesdecken sind nicht für den öffentlichen Verkauf erhältlich. Aber Pendleton stellt eine andere Art von Stammesdecke her.

In Zusammenarbeit mit indianischen Künstlern produziert das Unternehmen Decken und spendet einen Teil des Verkaufserlöses an den American Indian College Fund. Eine Decke der College Fund Collection wird jedes Jahr im Einzelhandel für 319 US-Dollar eingeführt. Im Jahr 1990 richtete Pendleton ein Stipendium für den College-Fonds ein, dessen Wert heute auf mehr als 1 Million US-Dollar geschätzt wird. Der American Indian College Fund hat nach Angaben des Unternehmens mehr als 1.000 Studenten unterstützt.

Anfang April enthüllte der Pawnee-Yakama-Künstler Bunky Echo-Hawk die diesjährige Decke des College Fund. Die erste Decke überreichte Echo-Hawk seinem Freund, dem Wieden + Kennedy-Mitbegründer David Kennedy, einem langjährigen Unterstützer des College Fund. Die Enthüllung und Präsentation fand am Hauptsitz der Werbeagentur in Portland statt.

Washougal

Das Weben von Stammesdecken findet in der Mühle in Pendleton statt. Aber die Veredelung der Decken — inklusive Beschneiden und Aufnähen von Stoffkanten sowie Tribal Patches — findet bei Washougal statt.

Die Washougal-Mühle ist ein Nebeneinander. Seine Außenwände, Inneneinrichtung und robusten Maschinen sind in grauen Ziegel-, Beton- und Stahltönen gehalten. Aber die Garnrollen in riesigen Rollkörben, die durch Webstühle gewühlt und als fertige, gewebte Produkte gestapelt werden, sind eine Kakophonie explodierender Farben.

Ungefähr ein Dutzend Arbeiter haben bei einem kürzlichen Besuch Jacquard-Decken in verschiedenen Designs hergestellt. Einige schnitten riesige Stoffrollen auf ihre Größe von 64 x 80 Zoll zu, andere nähten die Kanten und wieder andere falteten die Decken, befestigten Produktinformationen und legten sie in Pendleton-Boxen.

In einem nahegelegenen Eckbüro enthielt ein grüner Aktenschrank Schubladen voller gestapelter Flicken, die auf die zukünftige Befestigung an Decken warteten. Fast alle lederähnlichen Aufnäher enthielten Details über einen Stamm, den Deckendesigner und andere Informationen.

Der Aufnäher für den Cowlitz Indian Tribe zeigt das Fisch-River-Mountain-Tribal-Logo, die Nummer der Decke in diesem bestimmten Lauf und die Namen der Deckenkünstlerin — Jeanne St. Martin — und des Typen, der für die bezahlt hat Decke, David Barnett.

Barnett, einem Stammesmitglied, wird zugeschrieben, den Grundstein gelegt zu haben, der zur Partnerschaft des Cowlitz-Indianerstamms mit dem Mohegan-Stamm und zur Gründung von ilani auf den 156 Hektar führte, die als Reservat des Stammes dienen. Der Deal hat Barnett, einen Immobilienentwickler, noch reicher gemacht, obwohl er sich weigert, Details zu teilen.

Er sagte jedoch, er habe Pendleton 150 US-Dollar pro Stück für jede der 2.000 Decken gezahlt, die er in Auftrag gegeben hatte – insgesamt 300.000 US-Dollar.

Er möchte jedem Stammesmitglied über 18 Jahren, das eine will, eine Decke geben. Es ist seine Art, den Stammesmitgliedern etwas zurückzugeben, die die fast 20-jährigen Bemühungen miterlebt haben, die zur Reservierung und zum Casino führten.

Barnett sagte, er und St. Martin begannen vor etwa drei Jahren mit Pendleton an dem Projekt zu arbeiten.

Galerie: Pendleton Wollmühlen Fotogalerie

Die Decke enthält Elemente, die er wollte: Das Logo und der Slogan des Stammes — “We Are The Forever People” — in der Mitte und ein Zick-Zack-Muster an zwei Kanten, das das Weben und den Korb des Stammes darstellt. Fähigkeiten zu machen. Die Decken enthalten auch Hommagen an Schwitzhütten, Pferde, Adler und Stammesmitglieder.

“Ich wollte, dass sie sie so zeichnet, als kämen sie von Hieroglyphen in Höhlen, die begraben wurden, … als sie Dämme am Cowlitz River bauten,” Barnett. “Ich habe ihr gesagt, was ich will und sie hat geliefert.”


HistoryLink.org

Die Stadt La Center liegt am Nordufer des East Fork des Lewis River im Nordwesten des Clark County, etwa 25 km nördlich der Kreisstadt Vancouver. Cowlitz-Indianer bewohnten ein breites Gebiet, das von so weit im Norden wie dem heutigen Mossyrock bis auf wenige Meilen vom Columbia im Süden reichte, aber größtenteils von weißen Siedlern vertrieben wurden. Das frühe La Center diente als Handelszentrum für den Handel mit Lewis River und profitierte von der boomenden Holzindustrie. Die Abholzung der Wälder und der Mangel an anderen Industrien führten zu einem langen Niedergang, der die Stadt in den 1980er Jahren an den Rand des Bankrotts brachte. Eine Entscheidung, das Glücksspiel im Kartenraum zuzulassen, das einer saftigen Steuer von 10 Prozent unterliegt, brachte dringend benötigte Einnahmen. Nach Jahren ohne oder mit geringen Fortschritten stieg die Einwohnerzahl von weniger als 500 im Jahr 1990 auf über 2.500 im Jahr 2010. Die Stadt hat jetzt (2010) ehrgeizige Pläne für die weitere Entwicklung, die jedoch teilweise vom Ausgang eines anhaltenden Streits abhängen können mit dem Cowlitz-Stamm über die Pläne des Stammes, einen riesigen Casino-Komplex neben der Interstate 5 am Stadtrand von La Center zu bauen.

Das Volk von Lewis Cowlitz

Der East Fork entspringt im Gifford Pinchot National Forest, fließt durch Clark County vorbei an La Center und mündet direkt unterhalb der Stadt Woodland in den Lewis River. Der Lewis River wurde von den Chinook-Indianern Cathlapotle genannt, deren Hauptort nahe seiner Mündung in den Columbia River lag. Die Cowlitz waren jedoch die Ureinwohner der Gegend.

Die Cowlitz-Indianer waren ein weit verstreuter Stamm, der in kleinen Gruppen lebte, die im Inneren der heutigen Grafschaften Cowlitz, Lewis und im Norden von Clark verstreut waren. Der Stamm hatte zwei Hauptabteilungen, die Obere und die Untere Cowlitz. Obwohl sie oft das gleiche Territorium teilten und ähnlichen Bräuchen folgten, heirateten die Upper Cowlitz mit Sahaptan sprechenden Indianern aus dem Osten der Cascades und übernahmen schließlich ihre Sprache, während die Lower Cowlitz die traditionelle Salishan-Sprache des Stammes beibehielten. Eine Untergruppe der Lower Cowlitz lebte in Dörfern am Lewis River und wurde im 19. Jahrhundert als "Lewis Cowlitz" bekannt.

Das Wort "Cowlitz" soll "den Medizingeist einfangen" bedeuten, ein Hinweis auf einen Übergangsritus, bei dem sich junge Männer auf Fastenwanderungen zu heiligen Punkten entlang des Cowlitz-Flusses zurückzogen, um mit der Geisterwelt zu kommunizieren. Einige Quellen behaupten, dass Lewis und Clark Cowlitz 1805 in Fort Clatsop "entdeckt" haben, aber andere sind anderer Meinung, und es erscheint unwahrscheinlich. Die Küste des Columbia River wurde von den Chinooks dominiert, die sich mit den Cowlitz nicht immer besonders gut verstanden. Der erste gut dokumentierte Kontakt zwischen dem Stamm und den Westlern kam im Jahr 1811, als Astorianer von der Pacific Fur Company den Cowlitz River von seiner Mündung in die Columbia hinauf wagten und ein friedliches Treffen mit Dutzenden von Cowlitz hatten, die den Fluss in Kanus bereisten. Eine spätere und viel weniger glückliche Begegnung ereignete sich 1818, als eine Gruppe von Irokesen-Indianern, die von der North West Company angestellt waren, mehrere Cowlitzer Frauen angriff. Der beleidigte Stamm tötete einen Irokesen und verwundete zwei weitere, und die Irokesen rächten sich, indem sie ein nahe gelegenes Cowlitz-Dorf angriffen und etwa ein Dutzend töteten.

Obwohl sie sich im Landesinneren befanden, entging die Cowlitz nicht der Epidemie des "intermittierenden Fiebers", das 1829 Küstenstämme verwüstete, einer Seuche, die vermutlich auf einem amerikanischen Schiff, der Owyhee. Als die Krankheit in den frühen 1840er Jahren ausbrannte, hatte sie die Bevölkerung der amerikanischen Ureinwohner im Südwesten Washingtons dezimiert. Die Gesamtbevölkerung von Cowlitz im Jahr 1800 wurde bis 1860 auf 80.000 geschätzt, die Schätzungen der überlebenden Lower Cowlitz lagen zwischen 150 und 350.

Die Cowlitz, die bei der Ankunft der ersten weißen Siedler in der Nähe des heutigen La Center lebten, waren nach allem nicht bedrohlich, trotz zweier erfolgloser Versuche in den frühen 1850er Jahren, einen Reservatvertrag mit der US-Regierung auszuhandeln. Die Cowlitz blieben den Indianerkriegen von 1855-1856 weitgehend fern, obwohl die Klickitat, mit der die Unteren Cowlitz ausgiebig vermischt hatten, teilnahm. Aber ihre friedlichen Absichten wurden nicht für bare Münze genommen – viele Mitglieder des Stammes saßen den Krieg in Gefangenenlagern aus, beruhigt durch das Versprechen, nach dem Ende der Feindseligkeiten endlich ein akzeptables Reservat zu bekommen. Und ein Cowlitzer Häuptling, Umtux, wurde im November 1855 unter mysteriösen Umständen getötet, als er einige seiner Leute aus der Haft in Fort Vancouver herausführte, weil er befürchtete, sie würden von verängstigten weißen Siedlern angegriffen. Der Tod von Umtux war das einzige Opfer und tatsächlich die einzige Gewalt in der "Schlacht", die zur Benennung der Stadt Battle Ground führte.

Dieses Versprechen eines Reservats für die Cowlitz sollte mehrere Leben lang nicht eingelöst werden. Tatsächlich trat genau das Gegenteil ein. Im Jahr 1863 öffnete eine Exekutivverordnung Cowlitz Land für weiße Siedlungen, und in den folgenden Jahren wurden die verbleibenden Cowlitz weiter im Südwesten von Washington und im Norden von Oregon verstreut. Die allmähliche Enteignung des Stammes setzte sich bis ins 20. Jahrhundert fort, als Straßen und schließlich Eisenbahnen das Landesinnere für immer mehr weiße Siedler öffneten. In einem echten Catch-22 vertrat die Bundesregierung die Position, dass der Stamm, da er nun landlos war, nicht einmal mehr als Stamm angesehen werden konnte.

Später in seinem Leben fasste Häuptling Atwin Stockam, der über 100 Jahre alt war, als er 1912 starb, traurig und prägnant die Geschichte seines Stammes seit der Ankunft der Siedler zusammen:

„Vor langer Zeit gehörte all dieses Land den Indianern – Lachs im Chuck [Fluss], Mowich [Hirsch] und Moollok [Elch] in den Hügeln. Dann kommen weiße Männer. Atwin, ihr Freund. Jetzt gehört all dieses Land den Weißen.“ ("Die Enteigneten: Die Cowlitz-Indianer im Cowlitz-Korridor").

Während der letzten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts und des größten Teils des 20. Jahrhunderts versuchten die Cowlitz, eine Stammesidentität zu wahren und eine offizielle Anerkennung zu erlangen, eine Aufgabe, die durch mehrere Umstände erschwert wurde. Erstens sprachen die Oberen und Unteren Cowlitzen nicht einmal die gleiche Sprache, eine Tatsache, die stark gegen die Idee eines einheitlichen Stammes sprach. Außerdem hatten insbesondere die Unteren Cowlitzen mit mehreren anderen Stämmen, vor allem den Klickitats, frei miteinander verheiratet, und ihre individuelle Identität war bis zu einem gewissen Grad in größere und geschlossenere Gruppen zusammengefasst worden. Und schließlich waren eine bedeutende Anzahl der überlebenden Cowlitz "Metis", Nachkommen von Kindern, die aus Ehen zwischen Cowlitz-Frauen und französisch-kanadischen Fallenstellern geboren wurden. Es gab genug Metis, um Meti-Gesellschaften zu gründen, oft französischsprachig und römisch-katholisch, die getrennt von anderen Cowlitz lebten, und dies erschwerte den Kampf um die Anerkennung zusätzlich.

Häuptling Atwin Stockam verklagte 1906 die Bundesregierung, um mehrere Landstücke für seinen Stamm zurückzugewinnen, und dies war der Eröffnungsschuss einer Reihe von Rechtsstreitigkeiten, die fast die nächsten 100 Jahre lang auf und ab gingen. Throughout the twentieth century, the Cowlitz carried on a lonely battle for recognition, always opposed by bureaucrats and sometimes opposed by recognized tribes that feared a Cowlitz gain might be their loss. Finally, after decades of struggle, in January 2002 the Cowlitz, now 2,400 strong, were granted full recognition as a tribe, and they set about putting together a reservation.

The First Settlers

The 1850 the passage of the federal Donation Land Claims Act spurred a tidal wave of settlement across the western United States. The first non-Natives to put down permanent roots in the La Center area were John H. Timmen and Aurelius Wilkins, who in 1852 laid claims to land about five miles up the East Fork (some early histories refer to it as the "South Fork") of the Lewis River from the present townsite. John Pollock, who with his brother staked a claim on the south bank of the Lewis, arrived later that same year. These trailblazers worked clearing the land and tilling the soil, and soon a growing but scattered agricultural community was in place.

There does not appear to have been a major concentration of Cowlitz Indians in the area when the settlers arrived, but those who were there coexisted peacefully with the newcomers. However, when the Indian wars erupted in 1855, the white people living in their isolated homesteads were panicked by reports of coming attacks by "renegade" Natives. Women and children were rounded up and taken down the Lewis River to the Columbia, where they crossed to Oregon and took shelter in the St. Helens blockhouse. The men who stayed behind formed the Lewis River Rangers, a 44-man volunteer "army" that did not meet with the approval of the regular U.S. Army, stationed at Fort Vancouver to the south. But hostilities did not break out along the Lewis River, the Indian uprising was soon quelled, women and children returned, and the farmer-soldiers put down their arms and returned to work.

A Center of Commerce

For most of the 1800s, rivers were the primary means to travel into the interior of Western Washington, and it didn't take long after settlement began for commercial vessels to penetrate the lower reaches of the East Fork of the Lewis. In the early days, river traffic consisted of bringing people and supplies into the area and shipping agricultural products out. The boats, all steam-powered sternwheelers, ranged as far east as Stoughton's Landing, a few miles upriver from the future site of La Center. In the summer when the water was low, smaller vessels called lighters would ferry goods and people upriver from wherever the larger ships were forced to stop.

Some sources say that the first steamship to arrive in the vicinity of what would become La Center was the Adler, in 1854, but others put the date as late as 1868. It is certain, however, that by 1870 there was regular scheduled commerce on the East Fork. In that year the Schlucken, a 45-foot steam-powered sternwheeler, started running up and down the river, stopping at each scattered homestead to trade "dry goods and groceries for cash, butter, eggs and honey" ("Steamboat Era on Lewis River, 1854-1920"). The Swallow'Scareer on the river came to an unhappy end in 1874, when she was capsized and sunk by a floating snag. Other sternwheelers making the East Fork run in those early days were the Maskottchen und der Walker.

For reasons that are no longer apparent, the site of present-day La Center was first known as "Podunk," a name that may not then have had the negative connotations that it has today. One of the original upriver settlers, John Timmen, is credited with founding the town that is now La Center in 1871. It is also not clear just exactly what Timmen did to earn the credit as town founder, as it was a well-known riverboat captain, William G. Weir (1834-1902), who a year later built the first house there and opened its first store and post office. In any event, it was Timmen who, on December 6, 1874 (at least one source says 1875), filed the town's first plat, and wisely changed its name from Podunk to Timmen's Landing. Another small mystery is when the name "La Center" or "LaCenter" was first adopted: Some sources say that it was within a few years of the original plat others hold that the name change did not occur until the town was formally incorporated in 1909. What is undisputed is that the name was intended to convey, albeit in a mixture of French and English, the town's role as the center of commerce for northern Clark County.

In 1874 the economy of La Center was almost entirely agricultural, and Timmen donated land to H. M. Knapp, a Deputy Grand Master of the Masonic "Patrons of Husbandry," for a local Grange. Knapp built a two-story structure to house the organization, reputed to be the first grange in Washington Territory.

Taking the Forests

For the first few years of its existence, La Center was by all accounts a very quiet place, peopled mostly by farmers, dairymen, and a very few tradesmen. It was not long, however, until the potential of the area's vast timber resource was realized, and logging became the area's first real industry.

In 1876, Joseph D. Banzer (1837-1902) and a partner who is identified only as "Titus" started the area's first commercial logging operation, using oxen, Cayuse ponies, and horses to haul logs to their mill or to the river to be floated downstream to the Columbia and on to Vancouver and Portland. The company was credited with putting 700,000 feet of logs into the East Fork, although the record does not indicate the time period in which this occurred.

Despite its relative isolation, some growth took place. A woman named Mary Brazee Fairhurst added to the town plat in 1884, and the following year it would be reported that La Center, in addition to its farms and mills, had two hotels, a Methodist church, a grist mill, a brickyard, and a post of the Grand American Army of the Republic, a fraternal organization for Union veterans of the Civil War. A devastating fire destroyed the town's wharves and warehouses in 1890, but they were soon rebuilt and the small settlement continued to prosper.

The New Century

The historical record for La Center is quite sparse for the last decades of the nineteenth century, but it is clear that logging, lumber mills, dairies, and farming were what sustained the area's small population. A state government report from 1907 noted:

"LaCenter is a considerable town with a population of about 300. A prosperous dairying and mixed farming surrounds the place, while lumbering and logging are extensively carried on in the vicinity. Eight sawmills employing an average of forty men each are located within a radius of five miles of LaCenter and other are projected. Railroad ties in vast quantities are turned out at these mills. LaCenter has water communication with the outside world and also has stage connection with the Northern Pacific railroad at Ridgefield" (A Review of the Resources and Industries of Washington: 1907).

The foregoing passage illustrates both La Center's strengths and its weaknesses in the first decade of the twentieth century. Its mills may have provided hundreds of jobs to men who turned out tens of thousands of railroad ties for the new lines that were linking Northwest towns to each other and to the rest of America, but the railroad itself did not come to La Center. The nearest railroad access was at Ridgefield, which was only 10 miles distant, but those were 10 miles of bad road, incapable of handling commercial traffic of any significance.

But for the time being, La Center continued to prosper in a low-key way. The Coast magazine briefly profiled the town in its April 1909 issue, and its inventory of the town's businesses showed that progress had been made since the 1907 state report:

"Within a radius of seven miles around La Center there are at present about twelve sawmills engaged in cutting lumber and ties. These mills employ from forty to sixty men each . . Our business houses consist of four general stores, one drug store, two hotels, one restaurant, one livery stable, two blacksmith shops, one saloon, one hospital, one furniture store and one pool room" (The Coast).

But even this boosterish article contained bad news for the future of the town:

"A few years ago, north of La Center lay one of the finest forests of red and yellow fir that one would wish to see. Since that time about one-half of this forest has been marketed, and the logged-off lands are used for grazing and general farming" (The Coast).

Forests were a finite resource, one that the intensive logging around La Center was rapidly depleting. It was this logging and the mills it fed that had supported many of the town's other commercial activities, and the end of the jobs and income derived from the timber industry was on the horizon. The day was not far off when La Center would once again have to place more reliance on agriculture than on industry.

A Sleepy Town

In 1909, the voters of La Center decided to incorporate their town, and incorporated status was granted on August 27, 1909. One immediate effect of this was that the town was included in the 1910 federal census, and all censuses that followed. During the twentieth century, La Center remained a sleepy rural town.

The 13th Federal Census of 1910 showed stunning growth across almost all of Washington state, with the population expanding by more than 620,000, easily doubling since the previous census of 1900. And although this explosive growth slowed considerably in later decades, the state's overall population continued to expand, but La Center's did not. In 1910, the population of La Center was 288, a figure that it was not to reach again until 60 years later. By 1920, the town had only 167 residents by 1930 it had rebounded slightly, to 219. But 1940 showed another decline, to 193, and 1950 was only slightly better, with 204 residents. Between 1910 and 1950 the population of Clark County more than tripled, from approximately 26,000 to over 85,000. In that same period, the population of La Center dropped by more than 40 percent.

The tiny town had bucolic charm and peaceful country living. Yet it did not have the industrial or commercial base to support population growth. Even the routing of the original State Route 1/Pacific Highway through La Center in 1918 didn't seem to help -- thousands of newly mobile travelers passed by, but few lingered.

Gambling on the Future

During the second half of the twentieth century the little town did grow. By 1970, La Center had 300 residents, the most since counts were started 60 years earlier, and by 1990, 483 people called it home. But despite the modest increase in population, in the 1980s La Center was in dire financial straits. A moratorium on new construction was imposed due to the inadequacy of the town's sewage plant, and the wells that provided water were running dry. Given the lack of commercial activity, and the small number of residences, the tax base was insufficient to fund basic town services. Facing bankruptcy, in 1985 La Center became the only town in Clark County to license card-room gambling, and imposed a 10 percent tax on the activity. This step was not supported by everyone, but there is no doubt that it saved the town from financial ruin.

The revenues from the gambling tax breathed new life into La Center. Clark County also stepped in to help, taking over the town's water and sewage treatment facilities. Roads were repaired, and money became available to extend town services to new developments. By 2002, nearly 75 percent of the town's revenues came from the gambling tax ($3,176,413). Of more importance, these revenues allowed La Center to break out of its long slumber and attract new residents, and with them, new businesses. In recent years the town has been able to lower the gambling tax as other streams of revenue have increased.

The effect of the gambling tax on the growth of La Center has been dramatic. Without that revenue, the town may not have survived. Instead, growth exploded during the 1990s. New housing developments were built, including Southview Heights, which opened in 1995 and drew many new residents to the area, most of whom commute to work in the nearby commercial centers of Vancouver and Portland. Between 1990 and 2000, the population of La Center ballooned from 483 to 1,654 residents, or by nearly 250 percent. By April 1910, that number had increased to more than 2,500. Freed from the constraints of poverty, the city now hopes to secure its future by annexing approximately 1,675 acres from its urban growth area, a huge increase over the current 650 acres.

The Return of the Cowlitz

Given the dispossession of the Cowlitz Indians that took place over 100 years ago, it is ironic that the tribe is now perceived by many to pose the greatest threat to La Center's longterm economic health. Although new population and commercial activity has served to broaden the town's tax base, gambling-tax revenue is still crucial to its economic well-being, and the Cowlitz Tribe's plans to provide money and jobs for its 3,000 enrolled members have put it into conflict with the town.

Having fought for decades for tribal recognition, the Cowlitz are engaged in a new and protracted battle, this time over its proposal to create an "initial reservation" and develop a $500 million casino on 152 acres of land that it owns adjacent to Interstate 5 on the outskirts of La Center ("Cowlitz Casino Resort"). Among the town's primary concerns are the effect the project would have on its own gambling revenues, and on its roads and schools. So far, all attempts at compromise have failed. The final Environmental Impact Statement for the tribe's proposal was issued on May 30, 2008, but no final decision on the fate of the project has yet (June 2010) been reached.

There are persuasive arguments on both sides of the Cowlitz Casino controversy, and historical truths that weigh heavily on the relationship between the tribe and its neighbors. But whatever happens, the little town of La Center has endured decades of adversity, and in more recent years has brought itself back from the brink of ruin. Regardless of the outcome of the current dispute, there is every reason to think that La Center will continue to grow and prosper in future years.

Washington State Department of Commerce

Mary Kiona (1868-1970), famed Cowlitz basket weaver, n.d.

Courtesy United States Forest Service

People posing with large cedar tree, La Center, 1892

Courtesy Clark County Historical Museum (Image No. P15.18.3)

Flood damage, East Fork Lewis River, La Center, 1894

Courtesy Clark County Historical Museum (Image No. P24.1.5.3)

Main Street, La Center, 1899

Courtesy Clark County Historical Museum (Image No. P15.18.0.2B)

La Center, looking south, ca. 1900

Courtesy Clark County Historical Museum (Image No. P15.18.4.5)

View of La Center looking north, bridge across East Fork of Lewis River, n.d.

Courtesy Clark County Historical Museum (Image No. P24.1.5.2)

Steamer La Center at dock, East Fork Lewis River, La Center, ca. 1910


Cowlitz Tribe

This article contains interesting facts, pictures and information about the life of the Cowlitz Native American Tribe of the Northwest Pacific Coast.

Facts about the Cowlitz Native Indian Tribe: Flatheads
The Cowlitz tribe were a Native American Indian people, members of the Chinook nation, who controlled areas on the western part of the Columbia river. The Cowlitz tribe belonged to the coastal division of the Salishan linguistic family, yet shared a similar lifestyle to the inland tribes. The Cowlitz people were organized into settlements that consisted of plankhouses made from the abundant cedar trees. The Cowlitz tribe were many of the Northwest Native Indians who used tattoos to decorate their skins and re-shaped their heads according to the customs of their people. This drastic change in their appearance and their elongated, flat heads led to the nickname of 'Flatheads'. Refer to the Flathead article to learn more about their lifestyle and method of creating the elongated and flat shape of their heads.

Facts about the Cowlitz Native Indian Tribe: Lifestyle
As can be seen by the following map the people of the Cowlitz tribe lived in close proximity to many other Native Indian tribes. The Cowlitz tribe consists of two distinct groups: the Upper Cowlitz (Taidnapam) and the Lower Cowlitz (Kwalhiokwa). The Lower Cowlitz occupied 30 villages along the Cowlitz River from modern day Mossyrock southward to within a mile of the Columbia River. There lifestyle was similar with their neighbors and details of the types of clothes they wore, their religion, the food they ate, their plank houses and their dugout canoes. For details of their way of life refer to the Chinook Tribe.

Facts about the Cowlitz Native Indian Tribe: Mount Coffin - Cowlitz Burial Ground
Mount Coffin was a headland in what is now Longview, Cowlitz County, Washington. Coffin Mountain was so called because it was the burial site of the Cowlitz (Skillute) tribe. The Cowlitz burial site consisted of a great number of canoes that contained the bodies of Native Indians, each being carefully wrapped in blankets, and supplied with many of his personal effects in the form of jewelry, clothes, blankets, baskets, weapons and tools.

Facts about the Cowlitz Native Indian Tribe: Religion and Beliefs
The Cowlitz tribe were great fishers, and believed that the salmon were a divine gift from the wolf-spirit Talapus. The wolf-spirit Talapus was believed to have created the salmon to save the Cowlitz from extinction at a legendary time of near disaster. The Cowlitz tribe celebrated the 'First Salmon feast' which honored the salmon. The name Cowlitz means "seeker" in a spiritual sense and reflects their tradition of undertaking Vision Quests.

Where did the Cowlitz tribe live?
The Cowlitz are people of the Northwest Coast Native American cultural group, often referred to as Flatheads. The location of their tribal homelands are shown on the map, in the interior southwest of what is now the State of Washington. The geography of the region in which they lived dictated the lifestyle and culture of the tribe.

  • They lived in the Pacific Northwest coastal region in the state of Washington.
  • The location of their villages were along the north side of the Columbia River
  • Land: Tall dense forests, oceans, mountains and rivers. The climate consisted of hot summers and cold, rain drenched winters
  • Animals: The animals included Mountain goats and sheep, racoon, beaver, deer, moose, bear and elk
  • Fish: Shell fish, sturgeon and salmon
  • Natural Resources: Red cedar trees, berries, seeds, bulbs, roots, forests, mountains, rivers

Map showing location of the
Cowlitz Tribe

The Cowlitz Tribe: The Lewis and Clark Expedition
The Lewis and Clark expedition made contact with the Cowlitz tribe in 1806. The following article, Journals of Lewis and Clark: Native Indians, provides details of their encounters with the Native American Indians who inhabited the region. On April 20th, 1806, Meriwether Lewis wrote of the Skillutes (Cowlitz) ". they are poor, dirty, proud, haughty, inhospitable, parsimonious and faithless in every respect, nothing but our numbers I believe prevents their attempting to murder us at this moment. "

Who were the most famous leaders and chiefs of the Cowlitz tribe?
The most famous leaders and chiefs of the tribe included Chief Atwin Stockam, Chief Cheholtz, Chief Kiscox and Chief Schanewa.


The original language of Cowlitz tribes, the Cowlitz language, belonged to the Salishan family of languages among Northwest Coast indigenous peoples. Later, the Upper Cowlitz adopted the Sahaptin language from east of the Cascade Mountains. Modeste Demers reported that the Cowlitz peoples were fluent in Chinook Jargon. [6]

The Cowlitz Indian Tribe were federally recognized on February 14, 2000, and their acknowledgement was reaffirmed in 2002. They are now recognized officially by the United States federal government, and are in the process of establishing federally recognized tribal lands (such as on a reservation) near Longview, Washington. The tribal offices are in Longview, Washington.

The Cowlitz political system evolved:

"from a strong system of chiefs, to an elective presidential system in the early 20th century and a constitutional elective Tribal Council system after 1950. Chief How-How (c. 1815), Chief Kiscox (c. 1850), Chief Umtux (c. 1850), Chief Scanewa (c. 1855), Chief Richard Scanewa (c. 1860) and Chief Antoine Stockum [Atwin Stokum] (1878) led the Cowlitz in the 19th century. Twentieth century figures include Chief Baptiste Kiona (1912), President Dan Plamondon (1921), President John Ike Kinswa (1922), Chairman John B. Sareault (c. 1925), Chairman Jas. E. Sareault (c. 1930), Chairman Manual L. Forrest (1950), Chairman Joseph Cloquet (1959), Chairman Clifford Wilson (1961) and Chairman Roy Wilson (1974)." [7]


Die Anschrift: 1055 9th Avenue Suite B, Longview, WA 98632
Phone: (360) 577-8140
Email: Kontakte – Choose a department, then click on a name for their email address

Recognition Status: Federally Recognized

Traditional Name / Traditional Meaning: Upper Cowlitz: Taidnapam, and Lower Cowlitz: Kwalhiokwa

Common Name / Meaning of Common Name:

Alternate names / Alternate spellings / Mispellings:

Name in other languages:

Region: Pazifischer Nordwesten

State(s) Today: Washington

Traditional Territory:

The Cowlitz tribe was historically based along the Cowlitz and Lewis Rivers, as well as having a strong presence at Fort Vancouver.

Confederacy: Salish

Reservations: The Cowlitz Reservation was established in 2010 near La Center, in Clark County, Washington.
Landfläche:
Tribal Headquarters: Longview, Washington
Time Zone: Pacific

Population at Contact:

Registered Population Today: Over 2,000.

Tribal Enrollment Requirements:

Genealogy Resources:

Charter:
Name of Governing Body:
Number of Council members: 16, plus executive officers
Dates of Constitutional amendments:
Number of Executive Officers: Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer

Language Classification:

Salishian -> Tsamosan -> Inland -> Cowlitz

Language Dialects:

The Cowlitz people were originally two distinct tribes: the Lower Cowlitz and the Upper Cowlitz. Only the Lower Cowlitz (Northwest Coast) spoke Cowlitz the Upper Cowlitz, (east of the Cascade Mountains), were a Sahaptin speaking tribe, and spoke a dialect of Yakama.

Number of fluent Speakers:

Bands, Gens, and Clans

Related Tribes:

Traditional Allies:

Traditional Enemies:

Ceremonies / Dances: Smelt, Salmon and River Ceremonies

Modern Day Events & Tourism:

The Cowlitz Pow-Wow is one of the largest in southern Washington.

Legends / Oral Stories:

Art & Crafts:

The Cowlitz produced fully imbricated (scalloped or overlapping edges), coiled baskets with strong geometric designs. These were made of bear grass, cedar root, horse tail root and cedar bark and were used to gather berries and fruits. Such baskets were often repaired and kept through many generations.

Subsistance:

Economy Today:

Religion & Spiritual Beliefs:

Burial Customs:

Wedding Customs

Radio:
Zeitungen:

Salish Chiefs and Leaders:

Chief Scanewea
Chief How-How (Circa 1815)
Chief Kiscox (Circa 1850)
Chief Umtux (Circa 1850)
Chief Scanewa (Circa 1855)
Chief Richard Scanewa (Circa 1860)
Chief Antoine Stockum [Atwin Stokum] (1878)


Welcome

Welcome to Cowlitz Indians. I am changing my selection of which tribe I am studying. I originally selected the Chinook Indians, however, I have come to realize that I live in the heart of the Cowlitz Indian territory. I am very interested in the Cowlitz Indians and learning their history, hopefully attend the Pow Wow this year. As I go through my class I hope to add as much information about this tribe as I can and learn their ways and their history. I am hoping to learn and share as much about this tribe as I can. I chose this tribe because of their relation to the Columbia and Cowlitz Rivers. The Columbia River is such a vital feature to the Pacific Northwest and has affected almost every person in Washington and Oregon.


Schau das Video: Cowlitz Indian Tribe - Stories of the First People